While describing graphical information in IELTS task 1, you should make use of various prepositions and phrases in appropriate manner.
- At: To describe a static point. For example, consumption of meat peaked at 50 thousand pounds per week or milk consumption bottomed at 300 pounds per week or sales currently stand at thirty million.
- From ….. To: To describe the direction of movement. For example, there was an increase from one million to ten million.
- By: To describe the difference. For example, there was an increase from three million to ten million. Which means, there was an increase by 7 million.
- Of: To give any quantity after noun. For example, there was an increase of 7 million.
Words and Phrases
- Nature of an increase or a decrease: slight, sharp, steady, gradual, slow, dramatic
- Increase: rise, surge, ascend, hike, jump
- Decrease: decline, drop, fall, plummet